The struggle to find the perfect boy name is REAL. There are so many stunning names for baby girls (in fact, have you checked out our top girl names yet?), but if you’re about to become a boy mom, you’ve probably been racking your brain for the perfect name idea that showcases just how strong, loyal, kind-hearted, adorable, creative, curious and essentially AMAZING your little babe is obviously going to be (we have a sense for these things).
You already know you’re looking for baby boys’ names that mean strong, after all, you clicked on this article, but who knew there were so many baby names for boys meaning strength? We sure didn’t!
With names and meanings sorted into easy-to-navigate lists (Names starting with A, and continuing in alphabetical order) we’ve done the hard work for you in compiling this comprehensive (like, really comprehensive) list of the best unique and strong baby boy names around.
Settle in mama, we’re going to find you the perfect name for your little warrior boy. Let’s kick off with our top 25 unique strong boy names with influences from American culture and other languages:
1. Aari: Referring to the power of the outside world, this name means a mountain of strength.
2. Aitan: This name is of Hebrew origin means firmness, or long-lived.
3. Aswin: A strong male name that means powerful and knowledgeable.
4. Balin: This name means powerful, mighty, and energetic.
5. Barnard or Bernard: Baby boy names meaning strong as a bear.
6. Cahal: Meaning powerful and potent in battle.
7. Chip: One of several names meaning strong in America, with influences from England and the Christian faith.
8. Chuck or Charles: Boy names that mean masculine and free.
9. Dickson: Meaning to be a strong ruler.
10. Ethan: A slightly more common name meaning strong or gifted.
11. Farris: Meaning to be as strong as iron.
12. Hagan: This name means noble, exalted, and strong.
13. Hardy: A powerful baby name, the word hardy means resilient and daring.
14. Jeryl: This name means to be strong and open-minded.
15. Kale: As well as meaning strong, this name also refers to freedom and fairness.
16. Ken or Kenneth: Baby boy names meaning handsome, healthy, and strong.
17. Lewys: For a more unique twist on a popular name, this spelling of Lewys means made of steel.
18. Lucas: This name is all about finding strength in light.
19. Matty: Short for Matthew, this name means strength in war.
20. Norin: Meaning great and of exceptional moral character.
21. Occa: A beautiful option for a child with love for their land, this name means to be of one’s motherland.
22. Randy: Less common than it used to be, Randy means to be a strong defender.
23. Rayne: This mighty name means to be a strong counselor.
24. Rickie: Meaning to be a rich, brave, and powerful ruler.
25. William: Another more commonplace name, this one refers to the desire to protect.
Unique with strong European ties
For totally original names that mean strength, and other unique strong boy names, cast your net wider. There are plenty of unique baby boy names that have come to America from Europe, including some beautiful names from France, England, Ireland and other countries.
26. Alessandro or Alessandri: Greek names for boys meaning to be a defender or protector of mankind.
27. Andreas: Simple and effective, Andreas is a Greek name meaning strong.
28. Andrew: A popular name in Britain, Andrew has Greek origins and means to be powerful and manly.
29. Armstrong: A name of English origin meaning to have strong arms.
30. Arnold: A German name meaning to be as strong as an eagle.
31. Amory: Of Germanic origin, Amory is a name meaning brave.
32. Brion: Derived from Irish, Brion is a name meaning strength and honor.
33. Donovan: Another Irish name, Donovan means to be a strong fighter.
34. Denzel: An English name meaning to be from a stronghold.
35. Dreng: A name meaning warrior with English origins.
36. Egon: This is another name with German origins and means to be strong with a sword.
37. Frederick or Freddie: German boy names meaning to be a peaceful ruler.
38. Godric: An English name meaning fire.
39. Griffin: A Welsh name (with an anglicized spelling) that means strong prince.
40. Guy: A French name that means warrior boy.
41. Hedy: This German name is the male version of Hedda and means to struggle and to fight.
42. Imre: This name is from Hungary and means strength.
43. Kendrick: An English name that means to be bold and powerful.
44. Liam: This Irish name means strong warrior.
45. Nikolai: With origins in Russia, Nikolai means to be victorious.
46. Maximiliano: From Spain, this name simply means greatest.
47. Montgomery: An English name meaning to be a mighty man.
48. Ricardo: From Italy, this name means to be a strong ruler.
49. Thor: A more popular name now thanks to the recent Marvel films, Thor is a Scandinavian name that means thunder.
50. Xander: A Greek name meaning strength and honor.
Other unique but strong boys’ names
Beyond the unique baby names of Europe, there are cultures and religions from across the world with strong male names that would be perfect for a little pocket rocket. Let’s look at some more boy names meaning strength:
51. Aaron: A Hebrew name that means to be exalted and strong, or to be a great teacher.
52. Abiri: From Hebrew, Abiri is a name meaning strength and hero.
53. Almir: This Islamic baby name means prince.
54. Austin: There are strong Southern boy names from the US, too, like Austin which means majestic dignity.
55. Dae: This Korean name means to be beloved.
56. Dustin: A fairly common name in America, Dustin is a Norse name meaning fighter.
57. Ellis: A Hebrew name meaning God is Jehovah.
58. Eric: Meaning mighty, the name Eric has origins in Norse mythology.
59. Evander: A Latin name that means to be a strong warrior and a good man.
60. Eyal: In Hebrew, the name Eyal simply means strength.
61. Gabriel: A Hebrew name meaning God is my strength.
62. Haile: A common name in Ethiopia that means power.
63. Hercules: This Latin name means glory to the goddess Hera and is related to strength and power.
64. Justus: A name from ancient Latin that means to be just and fair.
65. Kano: A Japanese name meaning power.
66. Kenji: Another name from Japan that means to be strong and vigorous.
67. Rubens: A Brazilian name that means to behold.
68. Riki: A twist on Rickie, the Japanese name Riki means power and strength.
69. Sarim: This Arabic name means to be strong, brave, and decisive.
70. Válter: In Brazil, the name Válter means commander of the army.
71. Vincent: A Latin name that means to be victorious.
72. Tiger: A great choice for animal lovers, meaning powerful and energetic.
73. Yamato: A Japanese name that means great harmony.
74. Zeke: Zeke is a Hebrew name meaning God strengthens.
75. Zufar: An Arabic name that means to be brave like a lion.
Unique but strong unisex names
If you’re looking for strong baby names which mean strength or bravery, but you’ve kept your baby’s gender a surprise (fun!), consider looking at unisex names, rather than female and male names separately. There are plenty of powerful baby boy names that will work well for both boys and girls:
76. Adir: This unisex Hebrew name means to be courageous and mighty.
77. Aiden: A name that derives from Gaelic and means fire.
78. Artemis: From the ancient Greeks, this gender-neutral name is taken to mean either safe or butcher.
79. Blair: Meaning a child of the battlefield in Scottish.
80. Casey: A name meaning brave or watchful, Casey can either stand alone or be a shortened version of Cassandra.
81. Barrett: Another one of Germany’s strong baby boy names, Barrett is a unisex moniker which means bear or bearlike strength.
82. Drew: A name of Welsh origins that means wise.
83. Emery: From Germany, this name means to be brave and powerful.
84. Everett: From Old English, Everett means brave and strong like a boar.
85. Gabi: With Indian origins, this name means to be a hero of God.
86. Hunter: A name that is exactly what it says on the tin, Hunter means to be a huntsman.
87. Isa: Meaning to be strong-willed.
88. Jimi: A Hebrew name that means to supplant.
89. Keely: This gender-neutral name means to be beautiful or handsome.
90. Kennedy: An anglicized version of a Gaelic name for boys and girls, Kennedy means to be a helmeted leader or a chief.
91. Kiah: A name that means God is strength.
92. Lonnie: Most popular in the US, the name Lonnie means to be noble and ready to go into battle.
93. Nikkie: Of Greek origin, this name means victory.
94. Quinlan: In Ireland, this name means to be fit and strong.
95. Reece: Popular in England, the name Reece means to be of a fiery disposition.
96. Sasha or Sacha: Baby names meaning the defender of man in Russia.
97. Storm: Unconventional and powerful, Storm is a name that has plenty of impact.
98. Val: From India but often used in Western cultures as a shortened name for babies named Valerie, Val means to be powerful and healthy.
99. Valentine: A name with roots in ancient Rome that means to be strong and healthy.
Choosing the perfect baby boy name
Hopefully, you’re a little bit closer to finding the needle in the haystack of baby names after sifting through our list of strong boy names. If none of the names on our list tickled your fancy, don’t worry – there are still plenty of potential names for your little one out there.